Did someone say ASIA! Just for you guys, we’ve put together a cheeky list touching on seven of the most impressive, culturally rich and occasionally mischievous Asian destinations to firmly stamp on your ‘bucket list'. Y’all enjoy it.
1) Angkor Wat - Angkor Wat is one of our all-time favourite places, not just because it’s all mysterious/sassy/bea-uuuuut-iful, but because we can legit play ‘Lara Croft’ and not feel like a fool. No seriously - as one of the Seven Wonders of the World, Angkor Wat is obvs a must see! These incredible Cambodian temples date back over 1,200 years yet they still stand as a testimony to the years and years of intense labour, skill and craftsmanship that went in to creating them. We promise the views alone will take your breath away but combined with the rich history it will blow your mind (true story)!
Tip: Get up extra early for sunrise. The colours that are in the sky – phwoooooaar!
2) Great Wall of China - The Great Wall is one of those sites you just *have to see* in your life. Some parts of the Great Wall are over 2000 years old, so the fact this wall is so bloody long (21,000 km +) and stretches across a load of China is not a feat to be sniffed at. Our own team member Hannah found so much diversity on her trip to China, not to mention tasting a scorpion! We thoroughly recommend hitting this incredible country.
Tip: On our China Ultimate Adventure, you’ll be camping out on the Great Wall for a night. Talk about a once in a lifetime experience!
3) Luang Prabang - Luang Prabang is chilled out, authentic, old school Asia at its best. Louisa doesn’t stop repping this place, it’s her favourite Asian haunt. (So yep, this one’s for you Lou!). This World Heritage Site is one of the real jewels of Laos, rightly famous for its stunning temples, incredible architecture and laid back way of life. It might not be party central but it’s been voted as the best destination in SE Asia several times.
Tip: Check out the Wat Xieng Thong temple, and take your time out to chill!
4) Koh Phangan - Koh Phangan hosts Thailand’s notorious FULL MOON PARTY each month and trust us, this is a must do for ALL backpackers! No other party will ever be the same again… There’s more than just a cray party scene to this island though! Koh Pangan is also renowned for some serious chillin’ with great ways to unwind after a BIG night, how about stunning white sand beaches, jungle treks, snorkelling in clear blue water or scuba diving?
Tip: There are approx 10+ sounds blasting out of the beach on Koh Phangan, so make sure you jump between DJ sets to experience it properly!
5) Surin - Want to experience authentic Thailand? Surin is what real Thailand is all about. It is approximately 5 hours outside of Bangkok, and it’s where our Elephant project is located - the perfect place to do some volunteering! The area is known as the ‘District of Elephants’, believed to have around 250 elephants living in the region.
Tip: The food in Northern Thailand is incredible. Look out for our favourite, pad thai!
6) Taj Mahal – As far as world landmarks go, this is one of the most recognised. George visited India back in March and told us all how the Taj was one of her biggest highlights (alongside the gorgeous curries of course!). The Taj Mahal being the most famous of Indian heritage is often misunderstood but the history explains how this magnificent sight is essential a symbol of love, how romantic!
Tip: Get here early to avoid the crowds. You’ll want a photo with Princess Diana’s ‘bench’!
7) Halong Bay – If you’re looking to see a real stunner, head to Halong Bay. It’s one of the prettiest sights in South East Asia, you’ll defo need your camera for this one! Think Jurassic World scenery and you’re about half way there! Our #MyRealExperience winning photo was taken at Halong Bay – Check it here for some serious inspiration.
Tip: The best way to experience the bay is on a junk boat. On the Vietnam Experience you’ll soar through Halong Bay before ending up on Castaway Island in the middle, where you’ll party all night. Result!
Well there you have it guys, scribble these 7 on your list, pack a bag and get out there! SIMPLES
Team Real Gap Experience