- Au Pair in the USA for a year and earn over 10,000 USD!
- Flights, accommodation, meals and medical insurance are included
- Gain relevant childcare experience and become part of a welcoming family
- Take advantage of a study budget and 2 weeks paid holiday!
- Begin with 3 nights near Times Square with an epic New York orientation!
If you want to combine paid childcare with travel this amazing opportunity is perfect for you! Realise your ambitions and become an Au Pair for a host family in the USA, putting your childcare experience to good use, getting to grips with a new destination and earning 10,000 USD! There are plenty of perks involved with this programme – free flights, accommodation, meals and medical insurance, a New York orientation, time off to explore, a study budget and so much more!
You’ll become part of a family meaning you get the opportunity to live like a local and get to grips with life in the USA! We’ll also put you in touch with your fellow Au Pairs and there’ll be regular meet ups so that you can enjoy your free time in style! Your programme will begin with a 3 night stay in New York close to the amazing Times Square where you’ll find out everything you need to know about living in the USA and get to explore the Big Apple! The USA needs Au Pairs – and you may just be the next recruit!
Interested and want to find out more? Download more trip information and detailed itinerary HERE!
Why you should Au Pair in the USA!
There are plenty of perks involved in Au Pairing the USA! This programme will give you some brilliant benefits, and we’ve designed this opportunity to ensure that it enhances your childcare experience, ensures you get the very best out of life in the USA and have a ready-made network of fellow Au Pairs to chat to and socialise with.
- Earn 10,140 USD per year!
- Accommodation and meals are included – no need to use your wages for food or board!
- Free flights to New York
- Medical insurance included
- Access to a car
Learning and Development:
- Gain relevant, firsthand and comprehensive childcare experience
- You’ll be given 500 USD to study in a subject of your choice
- A day of paediatric first aid training and a certificate from the American Heart Association upon completion!
Life in the USA:
- An orientation in New York City, staying close to the iconic Times Square!
- Monthly meet ups with your fellow local au pairs and your supportive co-ordinator
- 1.5 days off per week, a full weekend off each month and 2 weeks paid holiday
- Live like a local as part of a welcoming host family
- A month of time off to travel at the end of your placement!
The Application Process
Our application process is straightforward and stress-free. Once you’ve checked you meet our eligibility requirements and booked with your £49 deposit there are only a few steps between getting the process started and jetting off to begin your USA Au Pair programme placement!
- Have a phone interview and an in-person interview (it’s always good to put a face to a name!) with our friendly, dedicated Au Pair co-ordinator
- We’ll contact your references and review the paperwork you’ve provided
- Begin your DBS police record check process
- Complete an online profile and wait for a match, at which point you’ll pay the remainder of your fee
- Participate in a Skype interview with a potential family, and if you choose to accept their offer we’ll get your flights and visa sorted!
- Pay the remainder of your programme fee
Life As An Au Pair
On our programme, life as an Au Pair in the USA is a fantastic opportunity with some unbeatable benefits. Your main priority will be the daily care of the children you’re caring for. Each host family is different, but all Au Pairs will work up to 45 hours of childcare each week, and will work no more than 10 hours a day. Your duties may include:
- Waking the children and preparing them for the day ahead
- Providing meals for the children
- Participating in recreational activities with the children
- Taking the children to and from school
- Keeping the children entertained during vacations
- Taking the children on outings – often play-dates with other Au Pairs
- Caring for the children when they are unwell
- Helping the children with homework and extra-curricular activities
- Organising fun activities to do with the children
The duties you’re expected to carry out will depend on the needs of your host family. Ultimately, you’ll be a valued presence in the lives of the children you’re caring for!
Earning As An Au Pair
You’ll earn 10,140 USD over your 12 months placement and will be paid weekly. Your weekly pay will be 195.75 USD – the equivalent of roughly £150. As your accommodation and meals are included you’ll have more money for recreational activities!
Getting To Know Other Au Pairs
We want to make your transition the USA as easy and enjoyable as possible, so you’ll be put in touch with other Au Pairs. There are monthly meetings with your co-ordinator and local Au Pairs, during which you’ll take part in exciting activities that will allow you to get to know your fellow Au Pairs better. Previous activities have included Broadway trips and skating!
Each week you’ll have at least 1.5 days off, and a full weekend off each month. You’ll also have 2 weeks of paid holiday to head out and enjoy the rest of the USA!
One of the brilliant benefits of this programme is that you’ll get 500 USD towards study sessions! You can expect to attend study sessions for 1 hour per week, or attend a full weekend course. Subjects previous Au Pairs have studied include Fashion, Photography and Cultural Studies, and there are many subjects available. If your study sessions cost more than your allocated study budget you’re welcome to top up the rest yourself. Once you’ve completed your study sessions you’ll gain 5 university credits.
Living In The USA
Families from all over the USA visit our database looking for Au Pairs, but it’s most likely that you’ll be placed on the East Coast. You’ll be unable to choose where you are placed as the focus will be on ensuring you’re placed with an eligible host family, so it’s important that you’re flexible in terms of location.
Once you’ve carried out your 12 month placement (this is the minimum length of time that you can carry out a programme for) you will have the option to extend your time in the USA. You may extend for 6, 9 or 12 months. Once your programme is complete your visa will allow you to stay and travel for a maximum of 1 month!
Orientation in New York
Your programme will begin with an exhilarating 3-night orientation in the Big Apple itself! Once you’ve arrived you’ll board a shuttle bus to your hotel near Times Square! Be sure to check out the hustle, bustle and bright lights of Times Square at night – you’ll be in awe of the number of people, the cinematic neon signs and that unforgettable New York atmosphere! You’ll arrive on a Tuesday, so may have some free time to check out the city. From the Statue of Liberty to world class museums and a new, exciting cafe or restaurant on every corner (frozen hot chocolate, anyone?) New York never gets old!
On the first day of your orientation you’ll get valuable information on living in New York, information about childcare and things to do with the children you’ll be caring for, as well as the rules you’re expected to follow during your placement and some guidelines regarding driving in the USA. On the second day of your orientation you’ll get paediatric first aid training which will earn you a certificate from the American Heart Association which is valid for 2 years! Your orientation is the perfect introduction to the USA and will ensure you head off to your placement feeling confident!
Your trip includes a free flight to New York! You’ll arrive into New York on a Tuesday, and your 3 night orientation will begin. It will be up to you to pay for a return flight home should you decide to finish your programme early for any reason.
You’ll be required to attain an enhanced DBS for this programme. This must be attained before you travel. We are able to carry out the process of attaining a DBS for you at an additional cost.
Your medical insurance is included as part of this programme.
The cost of your Visa is included as part of this programme. You’ll need a J1 Visa in order to participate in this programme, which is a Visa that is issued to individuals who are visiting the United States to participate in employment or training programmes. Our partner company will send you a visa invitation letter which will enable you to make an appointment at the US embassy. Once you’ve attended your appointment, you can expect your passport and visa to be sent to you in 5 working days. The SEVIS fee for your visa is included as part of this programme, but please note that you’ll need to pay your MRV fee which is approximately £100.
More Trip Info
- Return flights to New York
- 12 month placement with a host family
- Over USD10,000 wages per year
- Access to a car
- New York Orientation and hotel near Times Square
- Breakfasts and lunches during orientation
- 2 weeks paid holiday
- Regular social meeting with fellow Au Pairs
- 500 USD to study in your chosen subjects
- 1.5 days off each week
- 1 full weekend off per month
- SEVIS visa fee
- USA Au Pair America Handbook and Childcare Guide
- Full support during the application and matching process
- Option of 30 days independent travel at the end of your Au Pair placement
- 24 hour emergency support
What's Not Included
- Enhanced DBS Check – though we can arrange this for you
- Personal Expenses
- Airport transfer on arrival
- Medical report from doctor (approx £30)
- US J1 Visa Fee (approx £120)
- Dinners and spending money during your New York orientation
- Travel expenses to the Real Gap Experience office for interview
- Travel costs to US Embassy in London
- Any additional costs needed to cover your study course (usually no more than USD200, dependent on the course you choose)
- Return flight if you leave your placement early
More Whats Included
I've done this tripWrite review
How would you rate your overall experience?
Please rate the service received from our team before departure
Please rate the service provided by the team in country
How do you rate your arrival overseas and orientation (if applicable)?
Would you recommend Real Gap Experience?
What were the highlights of your trip?
Accommodation & Meals
Your USA Au Pair programme begins with a 3 night orientation in New York! During this orientation period your accommodation will be provided, and you’ll be staying in a great hotel close to Times Square – the perfect base from which to explore the Big Apple! During this time your breakfasts and lunches will be included, and you’ll be free to choose where and when you eat your evening meal. The remainder of your programme will be spent with your host family, carrying out your Au Pair duties. During this time accommodation will be included as you’ll have your own room in the home of your host family. Meals will also be included during your time with your host family.
More Accommodation & Meals
To arrange your flights, contact our fantastic flights team on 01892 277037 or email them at [email protected] Or by using the form below.
Get Flights Quote
More Flights Info
Eligibility & FAQ's
If you love childcare and fit our eligibility criteria this could be the perfect opportunity for you! We’ve listed our key eligibility requirements below:
- Aged 18-26
- Hold a valid driving licence
- Be a British passport holder and UK Citizen (see further details below for citizens of other countries)
- Have relevant childcare experience and must be able to provide two reference: 200 hours for female applicants and 500 hours for male applicants
- Able to provide 2 references for childcare experience (must be non family related)
- Able to commit to a minimum of 12 months au-pairing in the USA
- Must be mentally and physically capable of handling all responsibilities of the programme for the entire duration
- Have not undertaken a USA au-pair programme before
- Able to get a recent, enhanced DBS check prior to travel
- Educated to GCSE level or equivalent
Citizens of the following countries, who permanently reside in the UK and meet all of the other eligibility requirements may be able to apply for this programme. For more details, please contact us.
Australia, Austria, Beligium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Ireland, Japan, Latvia, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Ukraine.
Please note that your childcare experience must not be family related (for example, having babysat for relatives will not qualify as relevant experience). The more varied your experience the better. Examples of relevant childcare experience include teaching, working in nurseries, youth work, professional babysitting for non-relatives, and many other roles.
Can I Choose Where I Am Placed?
Most placements are on the East Coast, and you’re free to express your preferences in terms of where you are placed, however we’re sure you’ll agree that the most important aspect of your placement is the family you’ll be Au Pairing for. We place great emphasis on matching Au Pairs with compatible families, and location is secondary to this.
How Much Spending Money Should I Bring?
You’ll be earning upwards of 10,000 USD during your placement as an Au Pair, so you’ll be earning money during your time in the USA. There is a New York orientation before you begin your placement, and you’ll need spending money for this. We suggest bringing 250 USD, though more is always preferable – New York is a massive city with lots to do!
Will I Get My Own Room?
Yes, you’ll have your own room in the house of the family you’ll be Au-Pairing for, and the cost of your accommodation is included.
Can I Stay For Longer Than 12 Months?
Absolutely! 12 months is the minimum length of time you can stay so you’ll have to commit to this length of time, and if you’d like to stay longer there are extensions of 6, 9 and 12 months.
When Will I Have To Pay The Remainder Of My Fee?
The great thing about this programme is that you won’t have to pay the remainder of your fee until you’ve been matched with a host family. Paying your £99 deposit will get the process underway, allowing us to get started with your interviews and a review of your paperwork. Once you’ve been matched, you’ll pay the programme fee in full.
Which Start Date Should I Choose?
Your start date will vary depending on when you have accepted an offer from a host family. We suggest that you indicate a start date preference, but please bear in mind that it may be subject to change depending on when you opt to begin your Au Pair programme.
When Should I Book?
We suggest that you book as soon as you’re sure that you can commit to 12 months of Au Pair work in the USA and that you meet our eligibility criteria. You should give yourself plenty of time, and all you need to get the process started is that £99 deposit, so book early!
More Eligibility & FAQ's
Dates & Prices
- Book for only £49
- Financially secure
- Travel buddies
- Well travelled staff
- 24/7 support
- The leading UK gap year company